Enjoy this Irish inspired dish with a gluten-free vegan twist! Lots of flavor without all the heaviness of the traditional meat and dairy laden version. This hearty dish contains lentils and carrots in a delicious sage and mushroom gravy topped with creamy mashed potatoes and fresh chives. You can also add 3/4 cup chopped walnuts for extra protein and texture. I just quarter 3-4 russet potatoes and cook in water until soft then whip in a food processor in batches with just enough broth to make them creamy without being to runny. Click here for vegan mushroom gravy recipe. Goes great with a pint of Irish stout. Enjoy this St. Patty’s Day!
Vegan Shepard’s Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2-3 cups cooked lentils
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- salt to taste
- vegan mushroom gravy (see recipe link above)
- chopped chives
- 1 cup steamed carrots cubed
- In a medium baking dish coat with coconut oil
- Add lentils, carrots and gravy
- Cover with mashed potatoes and bake in a preheated oven at 385 for 20 min or until potatoes are lightly browned
- Top with chives and serve hot
Read more about this chef..