Eggs were the last animal products I gave up before I went vegan, and there are times when I do miss the fluffy texture on my breakfast plate…But tofu scrambles are a delicious animal-free way to enjoy a traditional favorite. I think what made me take the final step into fully embracing a plant-based diet was a visit to the Farm Sanctuary in Acton, California. I got to pet pigs, cuddle with calves and walk among turkeys, ducks and chickens. While admiring the landscape and enjoying how wonderful it was to see these beautiful animals free from the horrors of the industrial farming industry, I got a sharp prick in my left leg. I looked down to see a mother hen pecking at my ankle and in that moment I heard a little voice in my head that said “don’t eat my eggs!” Call me crazy but I think she was trying to tell me something, and from that day I haven’t eaten any since! Here is a great recipe for a yummy egg-free breakfast that has plenty of protein, iron, fiber and flavor!
Spicy Tofu Scramble
- Difficulty Level Cancer Fighting
- (4.5 /5)
- 6 ratings
- 1/2 package of firm tofu (drained and pressed)
- 1/2 green onion chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 handfuls of chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup diced or shredded zuchini
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- pinch of cayenne
- For this recipe you can use any seasonal veggies you like such as bell peppers for a mexi-scramble or spinach, onion and mushroom. Turmeric, a powerful spice from Asia, adds a beautiful yellow-orange color to the tofu. The active ingredient curcumin found in turmeric has been shown to help prevent and treat cancer by shrinking tumors and kill cells that mutate into cancer and a whole host of other health benefits.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat for a few minutes add veggies and saute a few min more. Add cumin, turmeric salt and pepper stir until veggies are covered in spices. Take drained tofu and crumble into pan, don’t worry about big pieces you can break them up with your wooden spoon or spatula. Cook all ingredients over high heat and add nutritional yeast if using until tofu is cooked through (about 5-7 min) serve on toast or tortillas with cilantro and green onion or your favorite salsa. Enjoy!
Read more about this chef..