This cornbread is so good you won’t believe its vegan and gluten free?!!! Enjoyed this hot from the oven this morning with a little coconut oil and honey (you can also use agave). Pouring the batter in a hot skillet before baking gives the cornbread a wonderful crispy edge. This recipe can also be sugar free by using dates to sweeten. Coconut and date sugar have a lower glycemic index which means they are digested more like food and slowly enter the blood stream vs processed sugar. Cooking in cast iron and stainless steel cookware is a healthier alternative to coated pans that can leach cancerous toxins into our food and our bodies. Enjoy this healthy version of Southern inspired comfort food!
Southern Style Vegan Buttermilk Cornbread
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbs coconut sugar or 2 pitted dates
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pink himilayan sea salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs flax seeds 1 cup water)
- 1 1/2 cup faux buttermilk (hemp, almond or soy milk with 2 tbs apple cider vinegar)
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (except flax seeds)
- In a measuring cup add plant milk and vinegar and let sit for a few min
- In a high powered blender add flax seeds and water and pitted dates if using. Blend on high until emulsified.
- Put 10 inch cast iron Skillet in oven at 400 degrees and let it get hot (5min)
- Take out hot pan with a pot holder and grease with coconut oil then pour in batter and bake for 20-25 min until tooth pick comes out clean
Read more about this chef..